Carlos Alcaraz has claimed Jannik Sinner has a “big target on his back” as the world No.1 bids to defend his US Open title – and win four consecutive hardcourt Grand Slams. The Italian and the Spaniard have won the last seven Major titles since Novak Djokovic claimed the 2023 title in New York. And the duo have clashed in the final of the last four tournaments they have both entered since Sinner returned from a doping ban, including at Roland Garros and Wimbledon.
But Sinner has won the last two Australian Open titles and is the holder here. And world No.2 Alcaraz, who won his first Grand Slam title in New York in 2022, admitted ending his hard-court domination would be “a great thing to do”. The Spaniard added: “I think the last three Grand Slams on hard court, he won, if I’m not wrong. It’s unbelievable the tennis he’s bringing on hard courts. just look up to him in some way just to be ready if I have to face him somewhere.
“So it’s gonna be great. I just getting ready for the tournament, just to do a good results. Hopefully, you know, meet him in the final. But yeah, it would be a great result having a good run here. If I beat him (it is worth) much more. He has a big target on his back.”
Asked to describe his rivalry with Sinner, Alcaraz said: “I think the respect we have each other and the good relationship we have off the court. I think it is great. Obviously I think everybody watch what we can do every time we face against each other on court.
“We raise the level to the top. But the relationship we have off the court, I think we are not used to see it at the same times what we have in such a great rivalry on the court. So I think that make it really special.”
Alcaraz lost in the second round at the US Open last year to Dutch world No.74 Botic van de Zandschulp after reaching the Olympic final. This year he won the Cincinnati Masters last Monday night – his sixth title of the year – before teaming up with Emma Raducanu in the new mixed doubles event here on Tuesday.
They lost in the first round to Jack Draper and Jessica Pegula but the Spaniard said: “It was great. I wish that I had more time just to be ready, you know, for that match. I couldn’t sleep that match, I couldn’t prepare the mixed tournament as good as I wanted.
“But it was fun, to be honest. The people, the energy that was there was great. Almost full, Arthur Ashe. I loved the atmosphere, I loved the support, and I love the format, to be honest.
I just had fun. It was great. Not the result that we wanted. I think we could have been much better if we could have prepared much better. But it was great.”
Alcaraz will open his bid to win a sixth Grand Slam title against big-serving American giant Reilly Opelka in the Monday night session in the Arthur Ashe Stadium. “Well, it’s going to be really difficult playing Opelka for the first time,” he said. “We all know his game style. So have to be ready for that, I have to be focused on the return, trying to put as much return as I can.
“And let’s see. Trying to get good rhythm in the match, playing good the points from the baselines when he let me do it, and let’s see. The confidence is high right now. Feeling good about the court. Feeling the balls well. Just getting ready.”


