Novak Djokovic pokes fun at Nick Kyrgios as Aussie wows crowd | Tennis | Sport

amedpost


Novak Djokovic laughed at Nick Kyrgios’ suggestion that he was trying to be “professional” during their doubles match together at the Brisbane International.

The pair launched their 2025 season in style as they pulled off a series of sensational lobs and trick shots during their 6-4, 6-7(4), 10-8 win against Alexander Erler and Andreas Mies.

Kyrgios admitted that he struggled to know which persona he should bring to the court, trying to balance his ‘bad boy’ side while in the knowledge that victory was all-important alongside the 24-time Major winner.

“Everyone in here is wanting me to hit underarm, I’m trying to be professional,” Kyrgios said in his post-match interview standing alongside the Serb.

Only for Djokovic to fire back: “The highlight of this interview so far… his sentence, ‘I’m trying to be professional.’ I love it. I love it.”

However, Djokovic had the stand-out moment, which got the entire crowd off their feet with an around-the-net backhand winner.

That came after Kyrgios went between his own legs and lobbed Erler and Mies before peeling off in celebration, with Djokovic joining his doubles partner after a spectacular effort.

“I want to thank Nick for playing,” Djokovic shared. “He said the other day it should be a pleasure to play with him. And it is. It is a pleasure.

“I’m glad to share the court with him on his comeback. I haven’t played many doubles matches in the last five years. Whatever Nick was saying I was following actually.”

Kyrgios rejected the idea that he was the team captain, despite being more adept at doubles, adding: “Not at all. I was surprised he doubted himself in some moments. I was like ‘you’re the greatest of all time. Go for it. Do what you wanna do.’

“I was looking around at all the fans… this injury has been brutal for me so I wasn’t taking any of this for granted. I don’t know how many Aussie summers I have left. We promised we would do this one time before he goes or I go. So I’m glad we’re still alive.”

MORE TO FOLLOW

We’ll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story.

For the latest news and breaking news visit: express.co.uk/sport/football. Stay up to date with all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you.

Follow us on Twitter @dexpress_sport – the official Daily Express & Express.co.uk Twitter account – providing real news in real time.

We’re also on Facebook @dailyexpresssport – offering your must-see news, features, videos and pictures throughout the day to like, comment and share from the Daily Express, Sunday Express and Express.co.uk.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *