Two men have been stabbed in separate but “linked” attacks at one of London’s busiest Tube stations. The first victim, a 23-year-old man, was found with stab wounds at Oxford Circus station at around 3.40am on Friday. He was taken to hospital for treatment.
A second man, aged 41, was stabbed at the same station just hours later. Police were called at around 1.30am on Saturday morning, and he was also rushed to hospital. Neither man suffered life-threatening or life-changing injuries, British Transport Police said.
Detectives believe the two stabbings are connected and have released a CCTV image of a man they want to speak to in connection with the incidents. No arrests have been made so far.
Detective Chief Inspector Gareth Davies said: “There is absolutely no place for violence on the rail network, and detectives are working at pace to investigate these two connected incidents.
“Passengers will see an increased police presence at the station while officers carry out their enquiries.
“We are urging anyone who was in the area at the time and may have seen these incidents take place or events leading up to, to get in touch and assist us with our enquiries.
“Any piece of information might be vital for our investigation.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact police by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40, quoting reference 49 of 31 August.
Crimestoppers can also be contacted anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Police did not say where exactly in the station the stabbings happened. Oxford Circus is served by the Victoria, Bakerloo, and Central lines, with Night Tube services running at weekends.
The double stabbing comes as police in London deal with another serious incident.
A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a woman was stabbed to death at a home in Greenwich on Wednesday night.
The 29-year-old victim died at the scene on Trafalgar Road. A 33-year-old man, who is in hospital with life-threatening injuries, was arrested at the scene and is believed to have known the woman.
Detective Inspector Mark Franklin said: “Our thoughts are with the victim’s family, who at this unimaginably difficult time, are being supported by specialist officers.
“We know this incident will cause great concern within the community. While we are confident this is an isolated incident, residents will see an increased police presence in the area.”