NYU Langone Health axes transgender treatment for kids following Trump’s threat to yank funding

0


NYU Langone Health, a major Manhattan hospital, will permanently axe its transgender treatment program for kids after the Trump administration threatened to yank federal funding.

The hospital is discontinuing the program that offered gender-related care for minors — blaming the move, in part, on the “current regulatory environment.”


NYU Langone Health building with an ambulance driving by.
NYU Langone Health, a major Manhattan hospital, will permanently axe its transgender treatment program for kids after the Trump administration threatened to yank federal funding. Robert Miller for NY Post

“Given the recent departure of our medical director, coupled with the current regulatory environment, we made the difficult decision to discontinue our Transgender Youth Health Program,” a NYU Langone spokesman told The Post in a statement on Wednesday.

“We are committed to helping patients in our care manage this change. This does not impact our pediatric mental health care programs, which will continue.”

The hospital’s website landing page for such care now reads “Gender & Sexuality Service” rather than the previous “Transgender Youth Health Program.”

NYU Langone was one of several high-profile hospitals to pause its gender-affirming care for youth after President Trump threatened to pull federal funding from medical centers treating trans minors late last year.


People rally in Union Square to advocate for transgender rights.
The hospital is discontinuing the program that offered gender-related care for minors — blaming the move, in part, on the “current regulatory environment.” Katie Godowski/MediaPunch/Shutterstock

Prior to being elected, Mayor Zohran Mamdani had vowed to funnel $65 million in taxpayer funds to public providers who help trans New Yorkers — including minors.

Meanwhile, Baystate Health — the largest health care system in western Massachusetts — also announced it would stop prescribing gender-affirming hormone treatments to those under 18 years of age amid threats of funding cuts.

The hospital said it would continue offering counselling services but would redirect underage trans patients to a local facility for their prescriptions moving forward.

“This decision offers patients the specialized expertise and continuity of care they need and deserve and reflects the evolving regulatory landscape that threatens hundreds of millions of dollars in hospital Medicaid and Medicare funding,” a spokesperson said in a statement to the Boston Globe.

“Nearly 70% of Baystate Health patients rely on Medicaid and Medicare, and preserving access to care for these individuals and all others in our community is a responsibility we take seriously.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here