Javier Báez is taking full responsibility for failing a drug test that will force him to miss the World Baseball Classic.
The Tigers star is suspended from the tournament after testing positive for marijuana during the 2023 WBC.
“I don’t want to point fingers at anybody because this is all my fault,” Báez said Tuesday, according to The Athletic. “I’m the one that failed the test … It’s just really frustrating that I won’t be able to be there.
“It really hurts my family, my reputation, but it’s part of it. Other than that, I got a long season to go, and I got to prepare for that.”

Marijuana use is allowed under Major League Baseball’s drug policy, but is prohibited by the WBC’s governing body, the World Baseball Softball Confederation.
“I understand the rules,” Báez said. “It’s not like I was taking steroids or anything to last longer or whatever. They made that decision. I’m fine with it, I mean, I’m not fine with it. I just keep my mouth shut.”
Báez failed the test during the last WBC in March 2023.
The loss of Báez is the latest blow to Team Puerto Rico, which will host Pool A of the WBC starting March 5.

Puerto Rico, which has twice finished runner-up in the tournament, previously lost stars Carlos Correa and Francisco Lindor due to insurance issues.
“One of my dreams is to play in Puerto Rico for Team Puerto Rico with our families, our fans, our island,” Báez said. “Nothing I can do. I’m just happy for all of my teammates that got the chance to represent. I wish them good luck.”
The Tigers star will instead shift his focus to the MLB season, which kicks off in late March.


