
The bodies of nine skiers killed in the deadly avalanche near Lake Tahoe will remain on the snowbound mountain due to hazardous weather conditions, authorities said Thursday.
“Avalanche victims cannot be safely extracted off the mountain today,” the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement. “Recovery efforts are expected to carry into the weekend.”
So far, authorities have not released any additional details beyond saying the nine victims were seven women and two men between the ages of 30 and 55.
Here are the latest stories on the California Avalanche:
“Until the recovery mission is completed, the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office is unable to confirm the identifications, ages, affiliations, or cities of origin for the victims,” officials said.
Mill Valley Mayor Max Perrey revealed that that one of the dead was a mother from the wealthy Bay Area enclave, adding that others in the group were also believed to be from the city. The Sugar Bowl ski academy also said a group of mothers were among the victims, though it’s not clear whether the Mill Valley victim is connected to the academy.
The sheriff’s office said it was grateful to its “mutual aid partners” who helped “save the six lives and have continuously worked in adverse weather conditions in an effort to bring loved ones safely home.”
On Tuesday, a group of 15 skiers — 11 clients and four guides — set out on a backcountry trip when one of the deadliest avalanches in modern California history struck the group, killing nine and injuring six.


