Man who was on FBI’s ‘most wanted’ list for hurling cinderblock at ICE during LA riot faces 20 years

0


A masked brute who went on the lam after hurling a huge cinderblock at ICE cruisers during a riot in Los Angeles faces up to 20 years in prison.

Elpidio Reyna, 41, was caught on video slinging rocks at the vehicles as they raced past him during the attack near Home Depot in Paramount on June 7.

He ended up on the FBI’s ‘most wanted’ list after going on the run – but was cuffed by the same agent he targeted a month later at the US-Mexico border.

Reyna, from Compton, on Tuesday pleaded guilty to one felony count of assault on a federal officer by deadly or dangerous weapon resulting in bodily injury.


A person throwing a cinder block at a white truck on a street.
Elpidio Reyna, 41, was caught on video slinging rocks at the vehicles as they raced past him during the attack near Home Depot in Paramount on June 7. X / @USAttyEssayli

First Assistant United States Attorney Bill Essayli said: “This defendant could have easily killed a federal officer or innocent bystander.

“As he found out the hard way, violence against law enforcement is not constitutionally protected and will be met with swift justice.”

He added: “Those who engage in similar violence will be arrested, charged, and eventually convicted in a court of law.”


Elpidio Reyna being escorted by a Border Patrol agent.
Reyna, from Compton, on Tuesday pleaded guilty to one felony count of assault on a federal officer by deadly or dangerous weapon resulting in bodily injury. X / @USAttyEssayli

Reyna had initially fled to Mexico after authorities blasted out images of him to track him down following the attack.

He was detained by Mexican authorities in the state of Sinaloa earlier this month but later agreed to surrender to the FBI. He was taken into custody at the San Ysidro Port of Entry.

At the time of his arrest, Attorney General Pamela Bondi said: “You can run, but you can not hide. If you attack a law enforcement officer, we’ll find you.”

Reyna will be sentence on August 7 and faces up to 20 years in a federal prison.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here