Yankees’ Cam Schlittler passes first test after back issue

0


TAMPA — Cam Schlittler insisted his back issues were “insignificant,” but the fact that he got back on a bullpen mound Tuesday still seemed significant.

After the Yankees slowed him down over the past week as he dealt with mid-back/left lat inflammation, Schlittler completed a bullpen session that, with a positive recovery, should put him back on track in his buildup to start the regular season on time.

“Again, something we weren’t overly concerned about,” manager Aaron Boone said. “Just being where we are on the calendar, just wanted to make sure it didn’t turn into something bigger.

“Everything went well and accordingly, so keep moving forward.”


Cam Schlittler, throwing during a spring training workout earlier this month, had a successful bullpen session on Tuesday after being held a couple of days for a back issue the youngster called "insignificant."
Cam Schlittler, throwing during a spring training workout earlier this month, had a successful bullpen session on Tuesday after being held a couple of days for a back issue the youngster called “insignificant.” Charles Wenzelberg / New York Post

Schlittler had been ahead of some other pitchers in his throwing progression before the Yankees decided to keep him off the mound for a few days.

The expectation was that he should only need one or two bullpen sessions before he could resume facing hitters.


Giancarlo Stanton said he was on the practice field when he heard about the resignation of Tony Clark, the executive director of the MLB Players Association, but wanted to get more information before commenting further.

Clark resigned Tuesday after an internal investigation found an inappropriate relationship with his sister-in-law, The Post’s Joel Sherman reported.

“Not ideal timing is all I know,” Stanton said, referring to the looming labor battle when the current CBA expires Dec. 1.


Elmer Rodriguez will start the Yankees’ Grapefruit League opener Friday against the Orioles in Sarasota, Fla.

The top pitching prospect has been built up early because he is leaving camp to pitch for Puerto Rico in the WBCat the beginning of March.

Fellow top prospect Carlos Lagrange is expected to start the Yankees’ home opener Saturday against the Tigers.


Luis Gil threw three innings of live batting practice, building his pitch count up to 42. … Ryan McMahon, who sat out Monday’s workouts due to flu-like symptoms, returned to the field Tuesday. … The Yankees made their first cuts of the spring, reassigning RHP Alexander Cornielle and C Abrahan Gutierrez to minor league camp. They now have 70 players in big league camp.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here