A SCHOOLGIRL was so terrified of getting pregnant that she accidentally killed herself with a contraceptive overdose. The 15-year-old is said to ha
A SCHOOLGIRL was so terrified of getting pregnant that she accidentally killed herself with a contraceptive overdose.
The 15-year-old is said to have collapsed after taking a mixture of contraceptive pills and paracetamol after having unprotected sex with her boyfriend.
She later complained of feeling unwell at home and her condition deteriorated so quickly her worried parents called an ambulance, local media reports.
The girl, whose name has not yet been released, was rushed to a hospital in the city of Yoshkar-Ola, in western Russia’s Mari El Republic, but died several days later from acute poisoning.
Police have launched an investigation into the tragedy. The exact circumstances around her death remain unclear, and it was not reported how many pills she took or whether they were normal contraceptive tablets or morning after pills.
A police spokesperson said: “The victim’s body is being examined at the moment.
“The investigation is to determine whether she took the medical supplies on her own or whether she was persuaded to take them by another person.”
Social media user Anatoly Kravtsov said: “A lot of parents pretend that sex does not exist and their children have to learn about it on the Internet.
MOST READ NEWS
“I assume the victim mixed different pills after reading advice online…”
And Anna Shtormova added: “We still don’t have normal sex education for high school students in our educational system and this is the result. I am so sorry for the girl.”
In Russia, as in Britain, the age of consent is 16.
In the UK, 16-year-old Sophie Murray died of a rare blood clot disorder after the contraceptive pill gave her deep vein thrombosis while on holiday in 2016.
If you, or anyone you know, needs help dealing with mental health problems the Samaritans can be contacted on 116 123, or visit Mind’s website.