Mum recalls heartbreaking battle to rescue trapped son, 6, killed in house blaze after lamp caught fire as he slept

Mum recalls heartbreaking battle to rescue trapped son, 6, killed in house blaze after lamp caught fire as he slept

A HEARTBROKEN mum has revealed how she desperately tried to save her trapped son from the flames as he died in a devastating house fire at their ho

NASA embraces bitcoin BLOCKCHAIN tech to battle aerospace cyber attacks
Mother loses legal battle to change her twins' surnames after their loverat father had an affair
Pedro Morales dead aged 76: Ex-WWE champion and Hall of Famer dies after battle with Parkinson’s


A HEARTBROKEN mum has revealed how she desperately tried to save her trapped son from the flames as he died in a devastating house fire at their home.

Riley Jackson, six, died after a lamp caught fire as he slept in his mum’s bedroom at their home in Ilkeston, Derbys, last October.

Facebook

Riley Jackson died in a blaze at his family home[/caption]

Cheryl pictured with Riley when he was a baby
UNKNOWN USE AT OWN RISK

Cheryl Bradley, Riley’s mum, tried to battle through flames after hearing a smoke alarm sounding from the upstairs landing but was unable to save her boy.

An inquest into his death was told she was beaten back by the intense heat of the and could not open the door due to blaze inside.

Cherly told the hearing she ran out into the street to get help with daughter Grace, nine, before Riley was found dead by firefighters.

She said: “I can’t describe the fear. Hearing the alarm it’s just your worst fear.”

“I just remember screaming for help in the street.”

Describing her son, she said: “He was a very happy little boy who loved life. He was very high-spirited, a joy to be around.

I just remember screaming for help in the street


Cheryl Bradley, Riley's mum

“He was a huge character. He had a thirst for knowledge, he wanted to learn something new every day.”

The inquest heard how the hot halogen lightbulb of the bedside lamp came into contact with a ‘combustible material’.

The blaze quickly spread around the room and in front of the bedroom door.

It is thought the bulb was smoldering away for around 20 to 30 minutes before the fire took place.

Senior Coroner Dr Robert Hunter told the court he would write to secretary of state about the safety of halogen bulbs.


He said: “Halogen bulbs are commercially available to buy in any shop. There is nothing wrong with them unless they come into contact with a flammable material.”

Addressing the family, he added: “I hope the inquest has given you a sense of closure. Riley’s death could not have been predicted or foreseen.

“You should not tie yourself up in guilt. No one should feel responsible.”

Facebook

Mum Cheryl ran out into the street to scream for help[/caption]

Caters News Agency

Riley, six, was trapped in an upstairs bedroom[/caption]

BPM Media

Riley was described as ‘a joy to be around’[/caption]

Riley was found dead by firefighters inside the bedroom
Caters News Agency

BPM Media

The blaze broke out in an upstairs bedroom[/caption]

BPM Media

Cheryl tried to battle her way through the flames but couldn’t reach her son[/caption]


We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368 . We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


 

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
DISQUS: 0