Brit Mum’s Horror As Daughter, 3, Suffers A Stroke On The First Day Of Portugal Holiday


A BRIT toddler is desperately ill in a Portuguese hospital after suffering a stroke on the first day of her family’s holiday.

Holly Alcock flew to the Iberian country along with her mum, Gemma, dad Mark and grandparents Graham and Debbie Alcock.

BPM Media Holly Alcock, 3, suffered a stroke at the beginning of a family holiday in Portugal

But the three-year-old, who had been suffering from tonsillitis became ill within hours of touching down on June 4.

She became sick and lethargic so her parents took her to hospital.

While there she suffered a stroke and was airlifted to Lisbon for specialist treatment.

Holly is still in hospital with her parents at her bedside over two weeks later.

BPM Media The family from Stafford had gone on their first family holiday with the grandparents

Gemma, aged 34, from Stafford, Staffordshire said: “We were going on our first family holiday to Portugal.

“But before we flew out we took Holly to see a doctor because she had tonsillitis.

“It was the viral kind and the doctor gave her some antibiotics, just because we were going away not because she would have needed them otherwise.

“We got to Portugal on the Tuesday but when we arrived she was really sleepy and she was being sick. We took her on the same day to hospital in Albufeira.

BPM Media Holly is still in hospital in Lisbon undergoing tests

“While she was in hospital she had some sort of stroke. There is a bit of a language barrier, but she had some sort of stroke or a bleed on the brain.

“We took her by ambulance to Faro and from there she was taken by helicopter to a specialist hospital in Lisbon.

“We couldn’t go with her in the helicopter, we had to follow behind by car, we were three hours behind.

“She was in and out of consciousness and then she went into a deep sleep. The doctors did say that she might not wake up for a week, but she has woken up.”

Gemma added: “She’s trying to laugh and smile, but she hasn’t spoken yet. We don’t know if that’s to do with what has happened to her. They are doing MRI scans.

BPM Media The family are hoping to raise funds in order to fly home

“Now we are trying to get her home, but we will know more soon. We have got to be patient and try to stay positive.

“It is very scary and we don’t know yet whether she is going to make a full recovery. It has been the holiday from hell.”

Jacob has now returned home to Stafford with his grandparents.

Mark, 36, said: “It has been awful, my worst nightmare has come true.

“It is a slow process and we are not sure how much she will recover. We are taking it day by day and trying to be positive.

“But Holly is a little fighter, we are very proud of her. She’s woken up and the doctors said that could take a week. But it is so hard to see your daughter lying in a hospital bed.”

Since Holly fell ill, family and friends have set up a JustGiving page with the aim of giving Holly a treat when she returns home, or sending her on a proper holiday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *