BILLY JOE SAUNDERS agreed to fight Gennady Golovkin in August but appears to have been used as a pawn to get Canelo to agree to their rematch on the Kazakh king’s improved terms.
The WBO middleweight champion has been bravely chasing both pound-for-pound stars since he picked up his title in 2015.
PA:Press Association Billy Joe Saunders lost a unification clash against Gennady Golovkin
And he pulled out of his underwhelming defence against Martin Murray on June 23 – for the second time – in the hope of stepping up for a unification shot with GGG.
But, with the September rematch now confirmed, the only fight Saunders has is convincing fight fans he did not invent his hamstring injury to get out of the Murray bout for his scrapped crack at Triple G.
Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler told ESPN: “We definitely had an agreement in place with Billy Joe Saunders.
“I was up front with them and told them if there’s a way to get the Canelo deal that was a priority but Gennady had no hesitation fighting Billy Joe Saunders because he felt it was a challenging fight to fight an undefeated champion.”
News Group Newspapers Ltd The first fight was cancelled in April due to Saunders’ getting injured, now the second time of asking has been blown away too
Reuters Billy Joe Saunders has now pulled out of two world title defences against Martin Murray with injury Billy Joe Saunders responds to the criticism of Martin Murray calling the St Helens fighter a bum
This was the photo boxing promoter Oscar De La Hoya posted out on Twitter as FINALLY the rematch was agreed
On a night full of twists and turns, there was spectacular drama as the rematch between Canelo and Gennady Golovkin was finally agreed.
Reports from the US originally claimed that the fight was off after Triple G failed to agree a deal before an 8pm deadline.
But in a sensational turnaround Canelo’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya tweeted that it’s all systems go for the fight everyone wants to see.
He posted: “I’m happy to inform that we have a fight September 15!!!!”
Just two hours earlier it appeared the hugely-anticipated rematch was dead in the water.
Canelo’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya told ESPN just after his 8pm deadline passed: “No fight. There is no fight.
Splash News Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin will fight again in the rematch everyone wants to see on September 15
“We want the fight, Tom Loeffler wants the fight. Clearly the only person here who doesn’t want the fight is GGG.
“The fans want the fight. We bent over backwards.
“We’ve come up and there’s no budge from him so there’s no fight, 100 per cent there is no fight.”
But then the LA Times reported that there was some late drama to the negotiations – and finally some good news could be reported.
Instagram Gennady Golovkin is over in Russia at the moment on a watch launch – along with Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho Canelo Alvarez hits back at Gennady Golovkin over failed drug test comment by threatening to ‘kick his f—-ing ass’ in potential rematch
The original offer to Golovkin was to take a 42.5 per cent of the pot for the rematch after the two middleweight warriors fought to a controversial draw in September last year.
But the Kazakh boxer, who holds three world titles compared to Canelo’s zero, was believed to want a bigger share of the purse.
It is not know if this figure has been re-negotiated.
Canelo twice tested positive for banned substance clenbuterol after giving samples on February 17 and February 20.
AFP Gennady Golovkin was originally not in agreement with the cut he was offered to take on Canelo in the rematch
He claimed it was a result of eating contaminated meat, and went on to pass two tests ahead of the original rematch against Golovkin.
But Canelo was forced to withdraw from their rematch on 5 May because of the failed samples.
He was then handed a year’s suspension by the Nevada Athletic Commission, but is free to box from August 17 after it was backdated.
How to claim your FREE £10 bet
1 Register for Sun Bets here
2 Bet £5 or more
3 Sun Bets will stick a £10 bet in your account
Billy Joe Saunders blasted by Martin Murray after pulling out of world title fight