Game of Thrones is a pretty bloodthirsty series and, over the past eight seasons, all but one of the Baratheons have been left dead after battles and the occasional shadow monster. Gendry (played by Joe Dempsie) is now the only living Baratheon related to the former king, Robert (Mark Addy). HBO and Sky Atlantic viewers confused by the Game of Thrones Baratheon family tree can read on for a comprehensive guide to the family and whether Gendry has a claim to the Iron Throne.
Who is Gendry related to?
WARNING: This article contains spoilers from Game of Thrones seasons 1-8.
Gendry is the bastard son of one of the many women Robert Baratheon had an affair with.
Although he does not currently hold the Baratheon name, he is the only living Game of Thrones character to have any Baratheon blood.
Gendry is the blood nephew of both of Robert’s brothers, Stannis (Stephen Dillane) and Renly (Gethin Anthony).
HOW MANY EPISODES ARE IN GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8?
This means that although he is not related to them by blood, his three aunts are Cersei Lannister (Lena Headey), Stannis’ wife Selyse Baratheon (Tara Fitzgerald) and Renly’s wife Margaery Tyrell (Natalie Dormer).
His only cousin by blood is Stannis and Selyse’s daughter Shireen (Kerry Ingram).
Cersei Lannister’s three children Joffrey (Jack Gleeson), Myrcella (Nell Tiger Free) and Tommen (Dean-Charles Chapman) all held the Baratheon name but were actually the children of Jaime Lannister (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau).
As the living son of a former king, Gendry actually has a better claim to the throne than Jon Snow (Kit Harington), another bastard who is the grandson of former king Aerys Targaryen (David Rintoul).
GAME OF THRONES SEASONS 1-7 QUICK RECAP
Are all the Baratheons dead?
All of the other blood Baratheons apart from Gendry have died in Game of Thrones, making him the last living Baratheon.
Also living, however, is Cersei Lannister, the widow of Robert Baratheon.
Here’s how the Baratheons died in Game of Thrones:
WHERE IS GAME OF THRONES FILMED AND SET?
- Robert Baratheon: Died following a hunting accident in season one
- Renly Baratheon: Killed by a shadow with the face of Stannis, conjured by Melisandre (Carice van Houten) in season two
- Joffrey Baratheon: Poisoned by Olenna Tyrell (Diana Rigg) in season four
- Myrcella Baratheon: Poisoned by Ellaria Sand (Indira Varma) in season five
- Shireen Baratheon: Burned alive as an offering to the Lord of Light by Stannis and Melisandre in season five
- Selyse Baratheon: Hanged herself from a tree after the death of her daughter in season five
- Stannis Baratheon: Beheaded by Brienne of Tarth (Gwendoline Christie) in season five
- Margaery Tyrell: Blown up in the wildfire explosion in the Great Sept of Baelor, orchestrated by Cersei Lannister in season six
- Tommen Baratheon: Committed suicide by defenestrating himself in season six
Game of Thrones season 8 airs on HBO in the US on Sundays 9pm ET and on Sky Atlantic and NOW TV in the UK on Mondays at 2am & 9pm BST
This article contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission on any sales of products or services we write about. This article was written completely independently, see more details here.