An Arkansas toddler died after running back into his family’s burning home to save their pet dog, according to relatives and a report.

Loki Nicholi Sharp’s family lost track of the 23-month-old as they called for help and tried to extinguish the flames on their own Saturday evening, the Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported.

The kin didn’t notice that the tot had found his way back into the home in an attempt to save the pooch, Gentry Fire Chief Vester Cripps told the outlet.

The boy was found dead inside the home. The dog also died in the fire.

“Fly high baby boy u are extremely missed and loved,” Loki’s distraught dad, Kurtis Sharp, posted to Facebook on Monday. “We know ur home and it kills us to see u have to go so soon. But mommy and daddy and all ur siblings and family love u dearly.”

Loki Sharp
Loki Sharp

Sharp requested mourners refrain from wearing all black to his son’s viewing and funeral — set to be held Friday and Saturday — as the little boy’s favorite colors were red, white and black.

“So mix it up please,” he wrote. “We don’t want it to be any more depressing than it’s already gonna be.”

Loved ones have launched fundraisers both to cover Loki’s funeral expenses and new housing for the family, who lost everything in the blaze.

“Not only did they lose their belongings but also a precious child,” said the description on one Facebook fundraiser. “We need all the donations we can get. Whatever your heart is led to do. The last thing we want the family to worry about during this very difficult time is money.”

A GoFundMe page has also been launched to support the family.

“I just wanna stop here and say never take your children for granted,” Sharp posted Monday. “Cherish every waking moment with them!!!! We love u bubba and we know your in a better place!!!!”

The fire was believed to have been caused by an overloaded circuit.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here