A TEEN died cradled his girlfriend’s arms in front of the London Eye from a suspected allergy reaction after eating grilled chicken, a court heard tod
A TEEN died cradled his girlfriend’s arms in front of the London Eye from a suspected allergy reaction after eating grilled chicken, a court heard today.
Owen Carey, 18, was celebrating his birthday in London with his girlfriend Martha Boddy and dined at McDonald’s and Byron burger before he died.
Central News The 18-year-old was rushed to St Thomas’ Hospital after collapsing but died 45 minutes later
Paramedics rushed to the landmark on April 22 last year to try and save the teen who was allergic to wheat and dairy products.
Owen’s family claim he died from anaphylactic shock after eating a grilled sandwich on the day of his death.
His devastated parents Paul and Moira and his brother Daniel attended the pre-inquest hearing at Southwark Coroners court today.
Mr Carey’s father Paul broke down in tears at the end of the hearing and said: “One of the people that cannot speak for themselves is Owen.”
Facebook Owen was celebrating his 18th Birthday with his girlfriend Martha Boddy when the accident happened
Facebook Owen’s father said his son was full of life, fun and going to be missed by many
Coroner Shanta Deonarine told the court she had been served statements from his family who said he had eaten at McDonald’s and Byron.
She said the restaurants have been approached and she is waiting for statements about their food allergen protocols.
Mr Carey’s brother Daniel said in his statement they had eaten at Byron and claimed he was not there when his brother ordered his food, the court heard.
The coroner added she wanted to see if any members of McDonald’s staff have any recollection of what happened and how they prepare burgers.
Alamy The head chef at Byron Burger claimed he had no recollection of events that day
Central News Owen Carey was said to have enjoyed music and playing the guitar
Simon Livingstone, representing Byron, said the head chef has no recollection of the events of that day.
He said: “He has no recollection of the incident but he will nevertheless provide a statement to the allergen protocols.”
The schoolboy was said to have been a popular pupil and was a prefect at Skinner’s School in Tunbridge Wells.
Paul said his son was due to visit the Sea Life Aquarium after visiting the Star Wars exhibition at the 02 Arena as a surprise gift earlier in the day.
Getty – Contributor The teen was cradled in his girlfriends arms in front of the landmark as he died
It is thought Mr Carey usually carried an EpiPen but forgot it on the day of his untimely death and had never suffered an allergic reaction before.
In a tribute, his dad said on Facebook that his son was full of life, fun and was going to be missed by so many people.
He added his son enjoyed playing the guitar, skiing, rock-climbing and was due to start at Swansea University studying computer science.