YOU could cause long-term damage to your nails if you don’t take off gels and acrylics with care.
Here are the easiest and most gentle ways to remove your mani without causing any harm…
Getty Images 4 Failing to remove your fake nails safety could lead to your rail nails cracking or flaking
How can I remove my acrylic nails at home?
Acrylic nails are notoriously more difficult to remove – and it’s important to be careful if you are attempting to take them off without professional assistance.
These two methods involve lifting the falsies off your nails without using force or damaging your cuticles:
- Avoiding the nail bed, use a nail clipper to trim down your acrylics
- If they’re too tricky to snip off, try filing them down
- Carefully use a buffer to file the topcoat off your nails
- Fill a small container with acetone
- Apply petroleum jelly or Vaseline to the skin surrounding your nails to protect it
- Dunk your hands in the acetone for 30 minutes
- Use the nail buffer to remove any remaining acrylic residue
- Moisturise your hands
Getty Images 4 If these gentle removal tips don’t work, it’s advisable to return to your local salon
Apply nail polish remover and wrap in foil
- Soak a ball of cotton wool in nail polish remover
- Place a section on each of your nails
- Cover with aluminium foil
- Leave for around 20 minutes
- Remove the aluminium foil
- You should then be able to lift the false nails off
If your skin begins showing signs of irritation, it’s advisable to stop the removal process immediately.
In this instance, you may have to head back to the salon to get your acrylics taken off.
How can I remove my gel nails at home?
Getty Images 4 Gel nails are slightly easier to budge and you may be able to buff them off
Gel nails tend to be easier to remove than acrylics.
File off the gels
- Use a large buffer to remove the topcoat off your nails
- When this process is complete, get the difficult-to-reach areas with a smaller file
- Make sure to apply a nail strengthener or conditioning treatment after buffing the polish off. This will strengthen the cuticle and prevent your nails from scratching and breaking.